Monday, August 5, 2013

Lessons from Nana: “There Is Nothing Open After 10:00…Except Legs”


Share you lessons with us at CurtsyGirlsCBC@gmail.com.

This lesson was taught to me in the heat of my early teens when I wanted to “do what everyone else was doing.”

Me:        Please, Nana? Please? Can I come home later than 10:00?
Nana:    No.
Me:        Everyone else has a midnight curfew, can I just come home at midnight like them?
Nana:    No, baby. Be home at 10:00.
Me:        Please?...just a little longer…

Nana:    ‘Aint nothin’ open after 10:00, but legs…

Perhaps that seems a bit rough. You would just have to know that my little tiny grandmother was barely 5 feet and two inches tall. Her hair was completely snow white. She spoke kindly and quietly. Her southern drawl was sticky sweet, and when she said those words, she meant:

-I do not care what anyone else does. You are not them; you are you – precious you. The rules of this house apply to you, not as a punishment but as a protection.

-I want to protect you. I cannot do that if you find yourself in a situation away from home, after dark, when things can get out of hand quickly.

-I don’t want you drawn into inappropriate situations, which tend to happen more often after dark, in mixed company.

-There are no stores, restaurants, or establishments (suitable for young ladies) open at that time. It leaves you a very select few places to hang out with your friends. I am not sure I want you at any of those places…certainly not after dark.

 
My Nana raised many children, these lessons are time tested:
Nothing is so important that you need to be out with your friends,
without your parents,  after 10:00…nothing.

 
You are you. The rules and boundaries prepared for you, by the people who love you are for exactly that reason - they love you and know what it takes to care for you.
Remember, birds and bulls have different boundaries.
 
CurtsyGirls Character Challenge: Honor your parents. They have taken the time and made the effort to know you and care for your needs. I did not realize how precious this kind of care was...until my Nana was gone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment