Thursday, August 1, 2013

Lessons from Nana: “Live Your Love”

Share you lessons with us at CurtsyGirlsCBC@gmail.com.

My Nana didn’t need a neon sign. She didn’t need a billboard. She didn’t need lots of words, poetry, sappy songs, text messages, or emails.   I knew my Nana loved the special people in her life. I knew my Nana loved me.

She did not tell me a lot. I can only count a handful of times she stopped to tell me that she loved me (apart from when I was leaving to go somewhere or when we were hanging up the telephone), but I knew…because she showed me. Now, I am not saying that you should stop using your words to share your love. I would never say that it is best to love in silence.

I am saying:
If you NEED to say "I love you," you might want to work harder to show it.

Nana lived her love and I knew she loved me in many ways.

·         In the morning, she woke up before everyone else (I never heard a single complaint), she got up and dressed so when I woke up for school, she could sit with me to eat breakfast and talk to me in a low voice over coffee (her coffee, but “our coffee” as I got older).

·         When I was getting ready, she helped me pick out my clothes, reminded me often of my own beauty, and encouraged me to be modest. She made sure none of my tags were sticking out and told me honestly when something was too tight.

·         She spoke life into me: She encouraged me. She reminded me of opportunity. She did not let me give up on myself. She saw something special in me – even when I didn’t.

·         She shared her world with me. She shared her failures and victories openly, so I could learn from her and with her. She told me the truth – even when it was hard.

·         She spent time and energy caring for me; she cooked nearly every night no matter what she had on her calendar. We sat down together as a family because she made the effort to keep us close. She regularly made herself available to take me to lessons, to talk to me, to take me shopping, and to just be there in whatever way I needed her to be there.

·         She (and my Papa) gave me the family I always wanted. My parents divorced and fought one another in a nasty and expensive custody battle. It left my siblings and me war-torn and fearful. My Nana and Papa gave us a home, a schedule, rules, boundaries, and a LOT of love…they did not neglect to tell us…but I didn’t need the words…I already knew.

 


CurtsyGirls Character Challenge: Live love. Be loving with your actions so the special people in your life never question your love for them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment