Friday, July 12, 2013

Sharing is Caring

If you hang around our house long, you will hear the saying, “sharing is caring.”

Sometimes it is the disclaimer of one of the kids in the house (i.e., “Someone passed gas!”). Or it could be a gentle way of asking for something that does not belong to them (example, “Will you share your food with me?”). Mostly what it means is:

I care about you, so here is something that matters to me…I am willing to share it with you…because you matter to me also!



I have been struck recently at the music that reflects the need to have a complete lack of care. Here is the chorus of a song that can be heard on the most popular radio stations, several times a day:

I don't care, I love it
I don't care, I love it, I love it
I don't care, I love it, I don't care
     -Iconapop, “I Love It”


La la la, whatever,
la la la, it doesn't matter,
la la la, oh well, la la la
    
-Hot Chella Rae, Tonight Tonight

More and more, we are being sent messages that it is cool to do destructive things and not care. That if hurtful things happen to brush it off with “whatever.”

Here is the thing: these songs are catchy to the point of habit forming. There is something deep within each of us that would like to not care at all – to not feel guilty, or sad, or hurt, or responsible. But being a loving, kind, generous, young woman of character and apathy are opposites.

1.       ap·a·thy  

/ˈapəTHē/

Noun
Lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.

 You see, the opposite of “love” is not “hate”…it is “apathy”


CurtsyGirls Character Challenge: Use the rule of “sharing” to determine if you need work in an area of caring:
-Would I share my last [insert favorite thing] with my best friend?
-Would I share my last [insert favorite thing] with my brother/sister/cousin?
-Would I share my last [insert favorite thing] with someone from school that isn’t a “close friend”?
-Would I share my last [insert favorite thing] with someone different (maybe someone homeless, handicapped, troubled)?




Let us know your thoughts and feelings by emailing us at CurtsyGirlsCBC@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment